Day 15: ...A Side of Food For Thought

Day 15: Cape of Good Hope, South African Penguins, Shopping with A Side of Food For Thought

Sad to report...no safari. Only two of us ended up wanting to go on the safari, so instead as a group we decided to go to Boulders Beach near Simon's Town.  




There we were able to see the African Penguin aka the Black-footed Penguin. They were all so cute however not-as-cuddly. 



After our visit with the penguins, we headed over to the Cape of Good Hope, The Southern most point of continental Africa. 


While at the Cape of Good hope, I remembered that my Aunt (in which whom I was very close to), who passed away from Leukemia in 2004 always wanted to come to South Africa.  It is actually because of her influence in my life, that I so fully embraced the Pan-Africanist Philosophy and Afro-centered lifestyle.  So, in her honor I took some of the ocean water and pebbles to bring to her grave, since she was never able to make it to South Africa.

Mary A Eppes
11/4/41-11/4/08
Later that afternoon...

We were able to go to Green Market Square. GMS is an outdoor arts and crafts market place in which you can find many different kinds of artistic souvenirs to decorate your home with or give gifts. I found so much that I am going to create a haul video once I get home of all of the goodies that I was able to buy in South Africa. 



The one interesting thing that I found out while in GMS was that the majority of the vendors were "foreigners". Meaning, that most of them are African but born in other countries and immigrated to South Africa for better economic opportunities.  One vendor that I made the acquaintance of told me that, "No South Africans would respectably work here, they get better jobs." This got my mind to thinking about how Americans complain about the immigrants from Central and South America, in which also claim that they do the work that Americans no longer wish to do.  This is very interesting as it jogged to memory a point that Dr. Joseph B. Diescho brought up during his lecture to us (and the NYU Study group).  His point was that the argument of illegal immigration within South Africa always centered around the issue of immigrants from other southern African nations rather than that of ones from European ancestry. Considering the end to the apartheid rule, one would like to think that the South African people would be much more tolerant toward other continental Africans, however it seems as though exactly the opposite seems to be occurring. The most memorable being in 2008 when "foreigners" were being violently targeted with vigilante "justice" being dictated for their immigration to South Africa. (Source, Source#2)



   


posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers

South Africa Initiative - 2012

"There and back again" South Africa

Raafi Bell - My Journey to South Africa


Recent Comments