Exploring South African Music

What Started it all...



While in Cape Town I was able to find a music store and proceeded to listen to all different kinds of music. These are the different things that I found:

Kwaito...


A music genre that emerged in Johannesburg, South Africa, during the 1990s. It is a variant of house music featuring the use of African sounds and samples. Typically at a slower tempo range than other styles of house music, Kwaito often contains catchy melodic and percussive loop samples, deep bass lines, and vocals. Although bearing similarities to hip hop music, a distinctive feature of Kwaito is the manner in which the lyrics are sung, rapped and shouted.

Maskanda...



A kind of Zulu folk music that is evolving with South African society.  Maskanda is distinguished by an instrumental flourish ("izihlabo") that sets the tone at the beginning of each song, in a picked guitar style, and rapidly spoken sections of Zulu praise poetry, called "izibongo".


Marabi...



A style of music from the Townships of Johannesburg.  Originally it was played on pianos with accompaniment from pebble-filled cans. Eventually, Marabi had incorporated new instruments, guitars, concertinas and banjos, and new styles of Marabi had sprung up. Among these were a Marabi/swing fusion called African jazz. 


Zahara...
A South African Afro-Soul singer-songwriter and poet. Although She just came out in 2011, she is very popular in South Africa, she reminds me a lot of India Arie.

Afrikaan [Rap]...

So, I don't actually know of any artists, but I heard a lot of rap in Afrikaans from the students.  When I got home and tried to look up some music, I found this "Antonio" person via youtube.  As I was watching his video I laughed to myself as I watched him dance (because it looks just like the dancing my students do here in NJ)  Ahhh, what a global reach contemporary hip-hop has, where young people thousands of miles removed still act like YMCMB.



posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers

South Africa Initiative - 2012

"There and back again" South Africa

Raafi Bell - My Journey to South Africa


Recent Comments